Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What Is An Angel Anyway?

I am developing the plot for a new book. I'm planning to write in a genre I've never explored before--fantasy. In order to move into this story I'm having to do a bunch of research. As I do so I realize--again--that all of us tend to use words with inexact meanings or we use words in ways that convey strange and different meanings. That may be good. . .and it may be quite harmful. As part of the background for my story I find it necessary to review the term angel.

Angel is a term used in many ways. There are so many confusing ideas about who or what angels are, what kind of bodies they have, what powers they have, whether children become angels when they die, and on and on and on. What I want to do is make an angel one of the main helper characters in my book. So I'm having to do some digging to be sure I write within the boundaries of revealed knowledge in the Bible and not get caught up in the fantasies and imaginings of many. There are, as you probably know, many writers who claim to have spoken with angels or have been encountered by angels.

We often use the term to speak about human beings. "My dear," she said, "you're an absolute angel to come to my rescue." Or again, "She sings like an angel!" Once more, "I know you're not supposed to let us in, but be an angel and do it anyway." And finally, "Betty, ever the angel of mercy, organized the women of her church to collect food for the hurricane victims."

In its origin, the term is Greek for messenger and is so used in the Bible. Jesus sent angels ahead of him into the villages as he moved toward Jerusalem (Luke 9:52). These were not spirit beings, but disciples. Speaking of John the Baptist, Jesus quoted Malachi 3:1, "Behold I send my angel berfore your face, who will prepare your way before you." Again, James (2:25) writes about Rahab the harlot in the Old Testament story receiving the angels sent by Joshua to scout out the land and helping them to escape (Joshua 7:22). In these cases, the Bible uses the Greek word angel, but means human messengers or ambassadors.

Greek literature used the term for supernatural beings connected with the underworld. Supernatural means they have powers that are beyond our natural and normal understanding and control. Such beings are both good and bad and may also be called demons. They are not, however, normally intermediaries between men and the gods.

In the Old Testament one angel is called the Angel of the Lord (see Genesis 16,21,22,24,40 and 48;Exodus 3,14,23,32 and 33; Numbers 22; Judges2,6 and 13, etc. He appeared to Hagar, Abraham, Moses and others. Christians have long believed that this Messenger was the Lord Jesus before he became a child in the Virgin Mary's womb.

Again, angels are mysterious beings who appear to men, bringing messages from God. They are creatures, not eternal gods and goddesses. They have power to control the forces of nature on the earth, sometimes destroying entire cities such as Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19). They guard God's beloved children and carry them to heaven after death (Luke 16:22). They are able to bring destruction, plagues and death. They have power over the animal world and earthquakes, hail, thunder, lightning and wind (Revelation 14-16). As such they seem to be much involved in the goings on of this planet. Their true home is, however, in heaven. Could heaven refer to the vastness of space beyond our tiny planet?

I've not spoken about the rebellion that took place at some time (if I may use the earthly term), before our planet was created. They were led in their rebellion by a spirit of great beauty and power. So wondrous was he that he was called "morning star" (Isaiah 14:12-15). Jesus saw this great spirit fall from heaven (Luke 10:18). He and they who followed him are now confined to the earth and forbidden to return to heaven. We call this great spirit Satan or Devil, both terms meaning adversary, one from the Hebrew and the other from the Greek.

Of what nature are these beings, these angels? There are those who today claim that they are of the matter known by scientists as "dark matter." Dark matter, we are told, makes up as much as 90 percent of the universe. We do not know what it is. We only know it exists. We can only speculate at this point.

I could go on and on and on about angels. If I ever get to writing that book, I'll have to know much more. One way for you to learn more and to speak accurately about angels is to download a Bible study from Concordia Publishing House called Angels and Demons by Armand Boehme. There are literally thousands of books available in our day about angels. Much of what is written is fantasy indeed. As for myself, I believe I'll stick with God's revelation and then when I get to meet an angel I'll have a good start for our discussion. On the other hand, I may be so frightened by his/her appearance I won't even be able to open my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.