Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Keeping Up With Communicating

From what I'm hearing a huge part of the world with access to the Internet is moving into social networking. . . and the list is huge, getting bigger by the day! As always, I'm absolutely amazed at what's happening while I plunk away here at my new IMac.

But here's my frustration (yes, another). I do want to keep up in some manner with what's going on and be a part of it. You see, I believe we Christians have a witness to bear that is desperately needed. But it ain't easy, Magee. Some examples.

I love this new Mac. Suddenly I hear that we have a new OS (I won't explain what an OS is, because you already know). OK, so I download the upgrade. Got that? And I install Snow Leopard, Growl and some other stuff. Then suddenly I find that my Norton Antivirus is a no go. Oh, don't worry. Apple has their own built in antivirus protection. Naw, don't believe it say the people on the forums. It's limited. You need more.

Meanwhile I have to get rid of the Norton stuff, because it is hanging up my new OS. I try the usual, but get a persistent little box that won't go away, even though I thought I'd cleaned Norton out. Oh, by the way, it took days before the Norton program worked for me to clean the program out.

Now what? I had to install some kind of Virus protection, but which? After two hours of searching I decided on iAntiVirus. Economical. Works good too.

Well, I won't go on and on with the list of frustrating problems that dog me as I try to "keep up" with this wondrous new way of communicating and networking. Is it any wonder that large numbers of my generation have simply given up. "I learned about email and that's enough for me," one after the other says. "And now you want me to join Facebook and follow you on Twitter. No way, buddy. No way."

But I shall persist. And with that I leave you for today. You see, I must rush to get my newest version of TweetDeck and find a way to get my Mac to play Sirius radio. Looks like StarPlayr might be the answer . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.