Friday, September 18, 2009

Supernatural - About

Supernatural - About

Shows you how behind the wave I am: the fifth season of "Supernatural on The CW. I only learned about this greatly popular program yesterday--through a Tweet! And now I've recorded the program last night. Here's what they write about themselves:

Twenty-six years ago, Sam Winchester (Jared Padalecki) and Dean Winchester (Jensen Ackles) lost their mother to a mysterious and demonic supernatural force. Subsequently, their father John (Jeffrey Dean Morgan, "Watchmen") raised them to be soldiers. He taught them about the paranormal evil that lives in the dark corners and on the back roads of America...and he taught them how to kill it.




As I read the program's description I become quite concerned about several things. OK, so it's fiction, but it pretends to be real--I think. Maybe it's pure entertainment, meant to scare viewers for a while, until they get back to the 'real' world. And that's my biggest concern.

I've got no quarrel with fiction. I write fiction. I read fiction. I enjoy movies and stories made up by the imagination of the authors and writers. When I write or read fiction I am aware that is what I'm into, fiction. I feel I know the difference. But . . . it is still fiction.

For instance, I'm a Star Trek fan--have been for years. I saw most of the TV series and love the movies. However, I do not in the least believe any of it. You can't 'beam me up,' for instance. In my view there will probably be no contact with other civilizations on other planets, etc. We don't know how to go warp speed. It's an open question if we ever will. Etc.

Having said that, I need to tell you that I am convinced that there ARE demons, supernatural forces, the devil, rebel angels and so forth. This is not the stuff of fiction. This is not merely the imagination of the writers of the series. In my personal worldview this is definitely NOT fiction.

However, what the people behind Supernatural write and produce IS FICTION! It is not what the Word of God has revealed about these dark forces. This is not what we know through such revelation. It is information skewed and confused.

End results:

  • viewers believe in supernatural beings
  • viewers do not believe in supernatural beings and mock the very idea
  • if viewers do believe in such beings, they conclude that the program has the real dope on what's going on
  • everybody is confused

Confusion is not the intent of God's revelation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.