Friday, December 18, 2009

Do All Suicides Go To Hell?

A dear long-time friend called yesterday to ask about her sister. She is grieving still and cannot get past it. Her son committed suicide a couple years ago. The young man was in his twenties, suffered from bipolar disorder and had struggled with life for many years.

Her question: Did he go to hell because he took his own life? That's the question his mother is plagued with. What happened to her son? What a frightening question in this season of joy. What a frightening question at any time of the year.

My friend is a professional counselor, so I could speak with her about this issue in a way  that I might not with another. I emphasized the critical importance of listening to her sister and of helping her to explore the depths of her pain and sorrow. Then I encouraged her to walk with her through that suffering again and again and as often as she needs to until the time comes when she can accept her son's death and find comfort in the Word of our Savior.

What Word might that be? How can we speak comfortably to Jerusalem as the ancient prophet was told to do (Isaiah 40:2) and as we hear in Handel's Messiah?

I suggested to my friend that she meditate upon the apostle Paul's struggle outlined in Romans 7:7-25. What are some of the things he says and how will that help Lois to comfort her sister?

He writes, "I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members" (vv.21-23).

In other words, it is an established principle that evil wars against also the believer in his mind, in his inner being. This is the sin we have inherited from the fall of Adam. It is in us all. It will never be completely conquered and eliminated as long as we live. We are plagued by temptations, doubts, anxieties, guilt, fear and unmet desires. It is always there in our thinking, in our feelings, in our dreams and hopes. It is there despite our faith in the mercy and forgiveness Jesus bought at the price of His own precious blood.


Now complicate that with bipolar disorder. A person suffering from this chemical imbalance moves from depression to mania and back again. He moves from being weighed down by guilt, fear, confusion, doubts and hundreds of other deeply disturbing thoughts to suddenly being pulled up and out in to the manic state. In that state he feels as if nothing can go wrong. He can conquer the world. He is excited and often so filled with energy that he cannot sleep. He loses balance and often is unable to think rationally. So he goes up and down, down and up again and again.


As I said, add that disorder to the "law of sin that dwells in our members" and you have a most frightening situation. It is not unusual and unknown for a person with this disorder to give in to despair while in the depressive state.


So what does the Apostle say to us who know of friends or who have family members suffering from this disorder? He writes, 


"Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! (vv.24-25)


Paul knows what sin has done—and continues to do in his life. He is wretched, poor, pitiable, blind and naked (Revelation 3:17). All he can do as sin attacks again and again is to go to the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ and cry for mercy, forgiveness and help. And Jesus responds to the poor, helpless, hapless sinner with comfort even for murderers like Paul and the thief on the cross. He says, "You will be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:42-44).


All of us poor sinners, regardless of what disorder we suffer from, need to hear again and again that blessed and joyful Word. So we join with the millions who have been comforted by the Christmas music of the Messiah




For unto us a child is born,
To us a son is giv’n;
The government shall rest on him,
Th’ anointed one from heav’n.
His name is Wonderful Counselor,
The Mighty God is he,
The Everlasting Father,
The humble Prince of Peace.

The increase of his government
And peace shall never end;
He’ll reign on David’s ancient throne
As ruler of all men.
Upheld with justice and righteousness,
Forever his kingdom will last;
The zeal of the Lord God Most High
Will bring these things to pass.

Lord Jesus, come now and reign in me,
Be Lord of my life this hour.
Come be my Counselor and my God,
My source of wisdom and power.
Watch o’er me with your Father care,
My heart and my mind, fill with peace.
I worship you, my Lord and King,
My praise will never cease.