Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Great Family Gathering Awaits

This will be a quick post, because in a short time from now I will be joining the others of the family of my dear cousin Melvyn to give thanks for his life and to praise our Lord for keeping him in faith and now taking him to the glory of heaven and all that awaits us.

Several of you have posted comments on about the previous post. I am so thankful that my words offer comfort to you. One of you, a pastor, has asked permission to use what I wrote. And I gladly offer those words to you, dear brother, to use in any way that will bless your hearers and comfort mourners.

Last evening the family gathered--as so many do when a loved one is taken--and we had some great moments recalling events, getting better acquainted, catching up on what has been happening in our lives and rejoicing in the Gospel. This is one of the very important parts of the farewell time that a funeral is all about. All this reminds me again of what awaits.

We are a family in Christ, regardless of whether we have been born of the same mother and father. We are bound by blood, the blood of our Savior. We have been cleansed and purified by that great sacrifice. And so imagine what a great and wondrous gathering will take place on that Day when our Lord returns. What great catching up we'll have to be about. So many stories to tell, photos to share, hugs and kisses to give when we are all reunited again.

So you see that's another advantage to being called to a funeral at Christmas. We are again given a glimpse of what our Lord has accomplished and why it was so important for the CHILD to be born and laid in a manger. I can hardly wait for what is yet to come, but I shall and while I wait I shall give thanks.