Monday, January 25, 2010

How I Deal With Stress

A couple months ago I went to my ophthalmologist for my annual checkup. I've had dry eye syndrome and the possible beginning of cataracts. He checks to see if those conditions have changed and whether I have any signs of glaucoma. He also tests my eyes to see if I need a new prescription for my near sightedness. He said everything appeared to be good and that I'd need no new glasses this year.

As he was about to leave, I told him I was seeing jagged flashes of light along the edges of my vision, sometimes on the left and other times on the right. All of a sudden he became very concerned and began to question me at length. The next thing you know, he had me doing a number of other tests. I even had to submit blood and come back for another appointment. All this had me quite concerned and, as I usually do, I began to fuss and worry that I was about to lose my eyesight or something.

When I came back a week later he looked at my eyes with his instruments again, lights out, look up, right, down, look ahead into the light and all that. Then he turned on the room lights and said, "I find nothing unusual in your blood work, and for a man your age, your eyes seem healthy."

We talked some more in that fashion before he excused me. "Perhaps you need to calm down and rest when this condition occurs," he said. "Other than that, I have nothing to suggest."

Calm down? Me? I'm not under stress. Or am I? As the weeks went by it happened again and again. Each time it did I thought about his words. So I decided to take the good doctor at his word. I stop, sit in my easy chair, elevate my legs, close my eyes and focus upon nothing but being calm, letting my shoulders relax, breathing slowly—all the calming exercises I've ever learned. I also find it helpful to turn on quiet music, like Calm Radio, an Internet station featuring the peaceful, soft music of piano, wind and string instruments. I love it.

In those moments of quiet and peace I give myself back to my Creator from whom all good things come, quietly thanking and singing praises to Him.

And what do you know? The flashes gradually disappear. Perhaps the doctor is right. I'm putting myself under stress and pressure and the flashes are a result.

It's so easy in our pushing, running, go here, get this done life to become tensed and stressed. Stress is not all bad. It's a response built in my our Creator to help us deal with what we perceive as a threat. Whether physical or emotional, our nervous system responds to threats by releasing stress hormones, including adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones get us ready for emergency action, ready to fight or flee, whatever seems appropriate. Our hearts pound faster, muscles tighten, blood pressure rises, breath quickens, and our senses sharpen. These changes increase our strength and speed our reaction time.

All that's good—except when it isn't. In my own case, I create these situations inwardly and the stress puts pressure on my eyes. The flashes seem to be the result, one of my signs of stress. When that happens, I'm learning to stop, slow down and get into my calming process. 

Words like these from Holy Scripture also help me.  

"It is a good thing to give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High: To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night, Upon an instrument of ten strings, and upon the psaltery; upon the harp with a solemn sound" (Psalm 92:1-3). 

"Answer me when I call, O God of my righteousness! You have given me relief when I was in distress. Be gracious to me and hear my prayer. . . You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD , make me dwell in safety" (Psalm 4:1,7-8). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.