Monday, April 16, 2012

Will Our Children Have Faith?

One of the most vivid memories of my childhood is an experience I had with my Grandpa Henry on the back porch of his and Grandma's large farm house. He was quite weak, because, as I later learned, he was dying of cancer. My mother, father, sister Elaine and I lived in a small house across the highway from  Grandpa's place. As a seven year old it was easy to walk over for a visit.

Grandpa was a very pious German Lutheran farmer. He regularly read his German Bible and would lead his family in prayer during and after meals. And he loved the hymns of the church. That is why he was so concerned about teaching me in those final weeks of his life. The hymn he taught me is one that I shall never forget, a hymn that pulls up images of sitting next to him to recite and sing it together. Of course, it had special meaning to him since these were his final days.

Here are the verses of Abide With Me, a most beloved hymn, based upon Jesus' walk with the two disciples on the their way to Emmaus on the eve if that first glorious Easter Sunday (Luke 24:13-35).

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
the darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
earth's joys grow dim; its glories pass away;
change and decay in all around I see;
O thou who changest not, abide with me.

I need thy presence every passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with thee at hand to bless;
ills have no weight, and tears not bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes;
shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
in life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

I need Thy presence every passing hour.
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.

I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks, and earth's vain shadows flee;
In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

Learning that hymn at my Grandfather's side, together with other childhood experiences of living, praying and worshipping within a pious Christian extended family undoubtedly shaped and formed me. From early childhood I knew that I believed and trusted in Jesus. As the years passed I also came to believe I was being called to serve Him as a pastor and teacher. 

All this causes me to ask about today's children, my children, grandchildren and now my own great-grandson. How are they being shaped and formed? Together with John Westerhoff, a Christian educator of my own generation, I ask, "Will our children have faith?

In some of my next posts I want to explore some possible answers to that question. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.