Monday, May 21, 2012

Nothing's Gonna Harm You

In Stephen Sondheim's hit musical Sweeney Todd, Mrs. Lovett sings Tobias Ragg to sleep with the song, "Not While I'm Around."
Nothing's gonna harm you, not while I'm around.
Nothing's gonna harm you, no sir, not while I'm around.

Demons are prowling everywhere, nowadays,
I'll send 'em howling, 
I don't care, I got ways.

No one's gonna hurt you, 
No one's gonna dare.
Others can desert you, 
Not to worry, whistle, I'll be there.
Demons'll charm you with a smile, for a while,
But in time...
Nothing can harm you
Not while I'm around...

The story behind the musical is gory and I'm not a great fan of the musical itself, but I quote it because when I first heard Barbra Streisand sing it I could not help but think about some words spoken by our LORD Jesus Christ shortly before He ascended back into heaven. 
"Behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age." - Mat 28:20 ESV
He did not leave them. No longer would they see Him in the manner they had, but He was with them. This was the wondrous promise fulfilled since the prophecy about Immanuel was first spoken to us all.
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. - Isa 7:14 ESV

And so it has come to pass. Jesus, born of the Virgin, is God With Us! He has carried the burden of our sins and all the countless sorrows that have followed. With that work completed, He has now returned to His Father and ours to plead before God's throne on our behalf. And so He promises, "I am with you always" until this present age ends and He returns in power and glory.

May I borrow Sondheim's words to express what Jesus means to say to us?
Nothing's gonna harm you, not while I'm around. Nothing's gonna harm you, no sir, not while I'm around. Demons are prowling everywhere, nowadays, I'll send 'em howling, I don't care, I got ways. No one's gonna hurt you, No one's gonna dare. Others can desert you, Not to worry, whistle, I'll be there. Demons'll charm you with a smile, for a while, but in time... Nothing can harm you. not while I'm around!

And He is around—always, everywhere, anywhere, any time. No need to worry. He is in charge and has His ways. More about Him and His ways next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.