Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Near Death Experiences

To continue this discussion about the human soul surviving after the final death of the body I'd like to quote from a blog I wrote back around Christmas time, 2010
I've often shared what Alice, a delightful elderly lady of our parish, told me. She said that she had died during an operation on her body. She recalled leaving her body and rising above it to look down at the doctors and nurses desperately trying to revive her. Then in a blinding flash she found herself amidst her people, her parents, husband, aunts and uncles who had all gone before her. They welcomed her with laughter and delight and she was filled with joy. But then she heard a Voice tell her she must return. In a moment, Alice said, she was back in that hospital operating room, looking down at her body. And in the next moment she was awake. After that experience, she said she looked forward to death (2 Corinthians 12:1-10). 
Alice was quite reluctant to tell her story. She assumed that many would consider her a nut case for telling such a wild tale. I assured her I did not. Perhaps you will not either, because hundreds have told similar stories. There is even a Near Death Experience Foundation, although I would caution everyone not to base their hopes of life after death and the resurrection upon human science and human accounts (1 Corinthians 15:1-19).
 In his book, Erasing Death: The Science That Is Rewriting the Boundaries Between Life and Death Dr. Sam Parnia tells about his study of such near death experiences (NDE). He concludes, 
Today, the tantalizing question for science is, If the human consciousness or soul does indeed continue to exist well past the traditional marker that defines death, does it really ever die as an entity? Our new studies will continue to explore this and other significant ethical questions. For now, though, we can be certain that we humans no longer need to fear death. 
I do not know if Dr. Parnia is a Christian. His focus is upon human science.  He suggests that our soul "does indeed continue to exist well past the traditional marker that defines death." We Christians have long known that. Our faith is based upon solid evidence, often overlooked by the world. We always look to the fact of Christ's resurrection, a fact never disproved. Listen to the Apostle Paul—

  • Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand, and by which you are being saved, if you hold fast to the word I preached to you--unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. Then he appeared to more than five hundred brothers at one time, most of whom are still alive, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles. Last of all, as to one untimely born, he appeared also to me. For I am the least of the apostles, unworthy to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me. Whether then it was I or they, so we preach and so you believed. Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? - 1 Cor 15:1-12 ESV
  • Paul himself, pronounced dead after being stoned to death at Lystra (Acts 14:19-20), speaks about his own near death experience: "I must go on boasting. Though there is nothing to be gained by it, I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows. And I know that this man was caught up into paradise--whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows—and he heard things that cannot be told, which man may not utter. On behalf of this man I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses-- though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth; but I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. - 2 Cor 12:1-6 ESV
The Bible writers witness to God's grace in Jesus Christ and to the glory that awaits those who put their trust in him. What about those souls who have turned their backs upon him and the cross? What happens to them after death? Is there such a thing as hell, darkness, eternal fire and suffering, as Jesus himself said?

And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell, 'where their worm does not die and the fire is not quenched.' - Mar 9:47-48 ESV (cf. Matt. 18:8-9)
More about that in my next blog about the survival of the soul after death.

1 comment:

  1. Some people who "believe" in "survival of the soul after death" do not believe as Christians believe. We believe in more than that. We believe in the Resurrection of the BODY of all, believers and unbelievers; believers, a resurrection to eternal life; unbelievers, a resurrection to eternal judgment, separated from God. There are too many who have only a "Platonic". Sadly, too many Christians have this view only, and some of Christian funerals do not emphasize enough the comfort of Jesus' resurrection and the resurrection of the body to life eternal. I have heard too often this of the bereaved at funerals: 'Oh, he (she)is at least in a better place". True, but there is, after all, "life after life after death", because of Jesus' resurrection.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.