Monday, June 24, 2013

Teach Me To Do Your Will, O LORD!

So far in our study of our LORD's prayer we've looked at how He guides us to pray each day that His holy and precious NAME be honored by us and that His kingdom and reign prevail among us. Yet as we pray, we are also aware that we live in a world set against the will of God and under the control of the god of this world. In this regard King David instructs us to pray.
Deliver me from my enemies, O LORD! I have fled to you for refuge. Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground! - Psa 143:9-10 ESV
David made many enemies on his road to serving as Israel's greatest king. His enemies came at him from without and from within his kingdom. He never had a time of rest. That's why he said to his son  that it was inappropriate for him to build the proposed temple. David had been a man of war. His son, whose very name means peace, could build it in a time of true peace. David had a will to build, but he had to submit his plan to the will of the LORD.
David said to Solomon, "My son, I had it in my heart to build a house to the name of the LORD my God. But the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 'You have shed much blood and have waged great wars. You shall not build a house to my name, because you have shed so much blood before me on the earth. Behold, a son shall be born to you who shall be a man of rest. I will give him rest from all his surrounding enemies. For his name shall be Solomon (peace), and I will give peace and quiet to Israel in his days. He shall build a house for my name. He shall be my son, and I will be his father, and I will establish his royal throne in Israel forever.' - 1Ch 22:7-10 ESV
As you pray the prayer our Lord Jesus has taught us, follow David's example. Pray that the LORD teach you to do His will not your own. It is pleasing to Him that you desire to do great things for Him and His kingdom. It is most pleasing that you desire to honor His Name and all that He has revealed to us through His Word. Now what does that mean for you specifically? Just as God had a plan for both David and for his son Solomon, so He has a plan for you. So each day pray David's prayer,
"Teach me to do your will, for you are my God! Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground!"
 Here are a few guidelines for praying that prayer and for learning the will of God.

  • Focus on today. It is useful to map out the future as far as you can see. It is appropriate to make plans, but we never have more than today. So Jesus teaches us to ". . . seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." - Mat 6:33-34 ESV
  • Never stop praying to God. So the Apostle teaches, "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."- 1Th 5:16-18 ESV
  • Keep the eyes of your faith open to what God is doing in your life. When Jesus gave you new birth in Holy Baptism, He also gave you eyes to see, as He taught Nicodemus, Jesus answered him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God." - Jhn 3:3 ESV. But now you can see. See Him at work sustaining your faith and others. See Him at work sending His Spirit into the hearts of many. See Him at work expanding His kingdom. See what He is doing through you. 
  • Join then in God's work on this day. Following Jesus' example learn to say, "My Father is working until now, and I am working." - John 5:17 ESV. Look about you. You have specific gifts and specific opportunities today. They are before you. Get to work. He will bless you as you submit to His will. 
  • And so be at peace. As Jesus teaches, "Tomorrow will be anxious for itself."

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.