Saturday, March 29, 2008

My Identity

A while back in our carport I hung a sign that reads "Parking for Germans only." The sign was a gift from one of our children. It reflects my heritage on my father's side of the family. I trace my descent back to England on my mother's side. My wife is German on all sides. 

This brings up the question of our family's identity. We used to be Minnesotans, having grown up there, but nearly thirty-seven years ago we moved to Texas, so now we are Texans, Houstonians and Aggies, among other things. The Aggie part is something I personally have adopted because two of my children and, so far, two of my grandchildren have attended Texas A&M. 

Here's a story about the Aggie side of my identity. 

An Aggie came into a store and couldn't find what he wanted. So he asked one of the clerks, "Where can I find some summer sausage?" 

The man broke out laughing and finally said, "You must be an Aggie." 

The Aggie got quite angry. "So what if I am," he replied. "What's that got to do with sausage? You wouldn't tell me I was a Mexican if I asked for tacos, would you? Or a German if I wanted some bratwurst. Or an Irishman if I asked for Irish Whiskey. What's the deal anyway?" 

The man was bending over by this time. He could hardly contain his glee. Finally he got control of himself. "It's just, it's just...that this is The Home Depot!"  

One thing about Aggies. We like to have fun and make fun of ourselves. As I write that I'm wondering if that might also be an important part of the most significant side of my identity, namely being a believer in Jesus of Nazareth, the promised Messiah and Savior of the world. In him I have every reason to be positive and delighted. I have every reason to see the positive side of life. I have every reason to look forward and laugh in anticipation, for in Christ Jesus I am certain that death has no more threats for me. With Jesus I share a life that will never end. 

So what if I am an Aggie? Or a German? Or an Houstonian? Or an adopted Texan? They're all important--to me and to my family. But the most significant thing of all is this wonder: I am a Christian, adopted and reborn into my forever family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.