Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Jesus, The ONLY Way To The Father


It is common these days to claim that there are many paths to God. For example we read this quote from Ramakrishna (1833-86), the Bengali Hindu sage, lifted up as true spiritual wisdom:
“God can be realized through all paths. All religions are true. The important thing is to reach the roof. You can reach it by stone stairs or by wooden stairs or by bamboo steps or by a rope. You can also climb up by a bamboo pole.”
This approach is very popular in these days. And one of the biggest and most popular leaders of the many paths approach is Oprah Winfrey. No one quite knows what Oprah believes. In a September, 2005 book, The Gospel According To Oprah, Marcia Z. Nelson says that there are several major Christian themes that weave through her life and work: confession, redemption, healing, mission, forgiveness and salvation. Nelson sees Oprah as a "compelling spiritual teacher in a spiritually eclectic and ever-practical America." But what exactly her credo is, well, no one really knows.

And then there's Jesus!

On that night before his trial and crucifixion Jesus met with his disciples to tell them he was going to his Father's house to prepare a place for them. "And," he said, "you know the way to where I am going."

Thomas, ever the practical and literal doubter, replied, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?"
To this Jesus said,
"I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him." - Jhn 14:6-7 ESV
How strange. How very non-modern and un-American: No one comes to the Father except through me? Surely this is not what Jesus meant. No one but Jesus? He alone is the way? He alone the truth? He alone the life? Surely not.

Note Jesus' peculiar views of God to begin with. He claims to be God. God is his Father and he is the way to the Father. When Philip asks Jesus to show them the Father, Jesus says,
"Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves. - Jhn 14:9-11 ESV
 To see Jesus is to see the Father. The Father dwells in Jesus. He is in the Father. The Father is in Jesus. 

Again and again and again the New Testament writers emphasize the divinity of Jesus Christ. Again and again Jesus claims to be one with the Father. In him we come upon the great mystery of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. All this is conveniently ignored by those like Oprah. If, however, you want to find true rest for your troubled soul, forgiveness for your many sins and the absolute certainty of life eternal, then come to Jesus. Listen again to his invitation.
All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." - Mat 11:27-30 ESV


2 comments:

  1. As I listened to the new Pope's homily in real time today, I was touched by his Pastoral Protective Tender message. He goes forth willingly as a Shepherd caring for his flock. Preserving the Unity of all who believe in Christ was stated in reference to Paul's message of charity and unity. The 340,000 in the Square today were given thoughtful inclusion with the use of Spanish, Italian, Greek, and English languages (& Latin). And yet,
    I think I heard the names Joseph, Peter, and Paul
    proclaimed more than the name of JESUS~Romans
    10:9. Could this be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "saints" are still important to the roman Catholic theology.. so important that they invoke them for blessing....along with Mary's...... Jesus alone is "The Way" to the Father, also in our prayers of supplication, intercession, and thanksgiving. h.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.