Friday, May 1, 2009

Anxiety and Hope

I grow so weary of bad news and forecasts of disaster. Some current that have come across my desk the past weeks:

* Swine Flue Pandemic Hits Texas
* Few Signs of Recovery from Recession
* All of Europe will be Muslim in another 25 years
* US Losing Drug War

And the list goes on. As I try to absorb this daily dose of bad news, I begin to imagine all sorts of terrifying things about to happen. My next reaction is to try to figure out what I ought to be doing to stem the tide. Should I get some flu medicine? Stock up on canned goods? Contact my congressman?

And then a still small voice speaks within, calling to mind the Words of my Lord's Sermon:

"For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? And why are you worried about clothing?

"Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?' For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own " (Matthew 6:25-34).

The Apostle James, along with others, reminds us that we really do not know what tomorrow holds. All our worrying about it, together with all those carefully laid out plans, will not change it (James 4:13-15).

I've been watching the TV program Lost for the past several weeks. I've missed a couple years of past episodes already. Sorry, but I had no knowledge about its existence until my daughter told me she was a fan. The program explores a favorite sci-fi topic, time travel, together with the implication that if we could travel back in time to make some different choices we could change the future. That makes for some interesting and complex fiction, but that's all it is--fiction!

Such stories (and there are many) assume that time merely happens--blindly. The universe is some kind of machine governed by physics, scientific laws, understood or not. The only beings with free will are we humans. We make choices. These choices influence these fixed laws, changing them. Then stuff happens. If we could travel back in time to make other choices, then other stuff will happen instead. So goes the story line.

Time, like everything else in this creation, is a creation. The universe is not a blind machine that merely happens to be. We Christians rejoice that God created everything through Christ (John 1:1-4). He not only created all things. He sustains them by His Word of power. It is this same Lord who, in the fullness of time, entered His world to carry the burden of our choices, our godless choices, our sin. He is the One I turn to whenever my heart grows weary with all this bad news. On the first day of a new week He came out of the grave to announce once and for all that in Him our sins are forgiven.

Time travel? Possible? Nope. Fiction. We can't change the past, but in Christ we have confidence for the future. So I'm going to focus on today. How may I give glory and honor to Christ and His Father today? How may I care for my neighbor today? Tomorrow never comes. Yesterday cannot be repeated. All I have is today. And that is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.