Saturday, September 5, 2009

What Should My Book Cover Look Like?

You can't judge a book by its cover. So goes the old saying. Wrong! At least that's not what I'm hearing from my advisors. People do judge books by their covers. They glance at the cover of an unknown book for a few seconds and in those seconds make a decision to open it up or not.


The creation of a book cover is one of the first tasks I face as I work on Freya's Child, my new book, with my publisher and my marketing agency. And as I do, I'm waiting for some pleasant surprises.


A couple days ago I wrote about this journey I am on. When I posted this Blog also on FaceBook I received one of those very pleasant surprises. Steve, a long time friend and fellow Christian and also a graphic artist with over 20 years of experience, offered to help. What an amazing offer. You can be certain that we'll be in detailed conversation about this matter in the next days and weeks.


There are many images in this book that may well be portrayed. For instance, the opening chapter takes us into the office of General Heinrich Himmler, head of the Gestapo. On his wall hangs a huge red flag with a large white circle in the middle. On that circle is the infamous Nazi swastika, a very ancient symbol.




Most of us tremble or grow angry at the sight of that symbol, but it was not always so. In many ancient cultures the swastika was a revered and beloved image. It still is among many.


The Word Swastika is derived from the Sanskrit word svastika. It was an ancient symbol of peace and harmony. To this day in India it is a mark made on persons or on things to bring them good luck. American fliers even used it early in the twentieth century as a good luck symbol on their planes. Look carefully and you will find it on numerous historic buildings, including those listed in the National Registry of Historic Places.  The swastika shape even appears on a building of the U.S. Naval Amphibious Base in Coronado, California. 


The ancient Greeks created the symbol by interlinking their symbol for the letter Gamma or G in English four times. That letter looks like an upside down L. Priestesses would tattoo it on their bodies. Greek architecture and pottery is replete with the symbol. The Greeks called it the tetra-gammadion or 4-Gs. 




As I said, the symbol is and was used all over the world. The Nazis associated it with the Nordic god Thor and his hammer, but that was probably stealing a name that properly belongs to the T-shaped symbol. In any event, the swastika shape appears in Icelandic grimoires (magical symbols) where it is called Thor's hammer. Since the Nazis loved the revived Nordic religion, the swastika was an obvious choice as their national symbol. 



So back to my book cover. Should I have the swastika somewhere on it? The critical question: will this attract readers or chase them away? Steve and all you other creative and knowledgeable graphic artists, I need your help. 





1 comment:

  1. not only will it be a deterent for some readers, it will be the reason some booksellers may choose not to carry your book. As you say, a few seconds with the cover and people make up their minds whether or not to pick up the book to find out what is inside--no matter how considered, few will get passed their first impressio of the image to find out why you used it.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.