Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Why Write A Book?

As you've noticed, I have decided to publish my own third novel. One self-publishing company brags about the success of its authors. They tell me that many of their best-sellers have become hit movies, such as Legally Blonde (starring Reese Witherspon) and Proof of life (starring Meg Ryan and Russell Crowe).



This would have to be the best reason for choosing them. My book may become a best-seller, picked up by a big publisher and turned into a movie. Can't you see it now? Freya's Child, the thrilling story of a Wiccan Priestess from Nazi Germany and her attempt to steal away a little baby she believes will lead the Nazis to dominate the world!

That's nice. It really is, but first people have to discover the book, read it and pass on to others the suggestion also to buy and read it. To help me make this happen I have hired some experts. I have turned to Author Marketing Experts, Inc.  They are already teaching me many things about how to get my books into the hands of people.

But as all this goes on I'll continue asking myself, Why bother writing in the first place? My simple answer, Because I can. I'm no good at repairing cars or baking cakes or singing a songs or several thousand other ways people bless my life. But I can write. And I know my stories have blessed the lives of hundreds. They've told me so again and again.

And that fills my heart with joy. Through me the dear Lord is pouring His blessings into the lives of my readers, gaining their attention, pulling them along, helping them to celebrate, challenging them to look at themselves and what they believe and urging them to walk their own paths of love and caring.

Sound abstract? It is and it will be until you consider my protagonist Albert's love for his wife Tillie and their new baby, Louise. What if you were in Albert's place? Would you throw away your faith, your wife and your country to embrace the religion of the old Teutons and Norsemen because it promised glory and power and wealth beyond your wildest dreams?

No, of course not.

Easy to say until you find yourself in Albert's shoes. Maybe you'd better read the book before you jump to conclusions. But the book is not yet available, is it? No, but it will be. Keep watching.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.