Friday, October 2, 2009

Esotericism and My Third Novel

I learned a new word yesterday. Oh, I sort of knew what it was, but it helped to look it up on my dictionary: Esotericism - intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interestesoteric philosophical debates.


Let me explain how I got there. We're trying to figure out who might be interested in reading my third novel, Freya's Child, as we proceed toward publication. Since the bad girl in the book is a 'witch' or Wiccan priestess and a Nazi, I am searching for other books about Nazis. I discover a book and a series of documentaries made from it.




The Occult History of the Third ReichThis powerful and disturbing series uses rare original footage to tell a story that is as bizarre as it is horrific, and which casts new light on a national movement that came to see evil as a sacred task.

The author of the book the series is based on is Professor Nicholas Goodrick-Clarke. Dr. Clarke is Director of the Centre for the Study of Esotericism. He is a professor of Western Esotericism at University of Exeter and author of several other books on esoteric traditions, including also Hitler's Priestess: Savitri Devi, the Hindu-Aryan Myth and Neo-Nazism. Savitri Devi was a true believer who took Nazism beyond politics. She believed that Hitler was an avatar or god come to earth. This Aryan Hindu prophetess became a guiding spirit of the international neo-Nazi movement.

There you have it, a new word and another insight into the Nazi movement, a movement that did not die with Adolph Hitler. By the way, did Hitler really commit suicide in his bunker? His body was never found. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.