Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Surprise, Serendipity and Wonder

My Grandson and I were chatting on Facebook a couple days ago. Though he is in his twenties, he said he still often thought like a kid. After reminding him that he is now an adult and must accept adult responsibilities, I also told him that I too always want to remain a kid in my attitude.


And then it happened. I was taking my walk on my way to breakfast with a friend when I found it—a very beat up, but still recognizable dime on the edge of the street I had just crossed. Well, what do you know, I thought. Why would I find a dime here? Could this be some kind of sign?


I know. Dumb, but it was fun to remember how I felt as a child when I came unexpectedly upon some lost coins. I distinctly remember the excitement my own children had when they ran home waving several dollar bills they had found caught among the leaves along a row of bushes. Since we had no way of discovering the original owner, we declared the money to be their own.


So I come back to C.S. Lewis and his discovery of the truth of Jesus Christ, recorded in his book Surprised By Joy. And with that I think about how it must have felt when those sleepy shepherds keeping watch over their flock by night were suddenly and abruptly pulled to full consciousness by that angel. Luke records it this way (Luke 2:8-14):





And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,
"Glory to God in the highest, and on earthpeace among those with whom he is pleased!"



I'm confident that there are many such unexpected happenings in the life of us all, sudden surprises, unexpected turns in the road—even little ones like a beat up dime beside the road or a few dollar bills caught among the leaves of a roadside hedge. The shepherds were present at the Great Surprise! They were invited to kneel before the Great Coming when the Son of God came down to dwell and remain with us forever. Because of this unexpected grace we who have been chosen to be His children and members of the mysterious and mystical Body of Christ now hear the Apostle saying that our Lord is at work in all things for our good (Romans 8:27-30). All things! 


Its this that I want to hang on to, this anticipation, this excitement about what is about to happen, this surprising turn of events, this faith that no matter how bleak and dark the day the sun will soon break through.

"O Come Let Us Adore Him, Christ the Lord!"