Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dealing With Death


A few years back, while filling in for the senior pastor at our church, I spent three hours at the hospital with a family that suddenly lost their mother. She was 33 years old and had five children from teens to five months. And the strange thing was that she had not been ill. The doctors were unable to pin down what caused her death without an autopsy.

The scene described in my second novel, The Twins, was suddenly in front of me. Of course, I'd been there before. Here's what I wrote about Orville, a mentally challenged child who appears in all three novels. Orville's mom has just died from pneumonia.

_________________________________

In about fifteen minutes Dr. Marshall stepped back into the room. Everyone's eyes were fixed on him as he slowly pushed the door shut behind him. "I'm very sorry. Mrs. Switzer left us a few minutes ago. There was nothing we could do to save her."

In the corner Ella broke into sobs, both hands to her mouth. Orville slumped into Tillie's arms, tears pouring from his eyes. As she held him, he moaned, "Momma is dead. I don't want Momma to be dead. Who is gonna make me supper?"

"Yes, sweetie, Momma has gone to be with Jesus."

"I need her to be with me."

"I know, I know. I'm so sorry."

"What am I gonna do now?"  he groaned. "Who's gonna take care of me? I want my Momma."

Orville's Aunt Ella, her eyes red and swollen, reached over to touch him. "You got two aunties who love you very much, Orville. We're going to take care of you. Don't you worry none about that. You're going to be fine. Turning toward Tillie, she sighed. "Me and Amos don't got enough money for the funeral. What're we gonna do?"

"The county will handle that," said Tillie. "I'll make the arrangements before we leave."

"Did you call Pastor Dornfeld?" asked Al.

"I called the parsonage," replied Tillie. "Mrs. Dornfeld told me Pastor has a real bad chest cold and a fever. He's in bed. I told her about Sally. She said she'd try to reach one of the elders, have him stop up to the hospital tomorrow."

"Too late for that now," said Al.

I know, she sighed, fighting to hold back her own tears. Turning to Ella she said, "Ella, you and Orville wait here. Al and I need to talk. We'll be back in a few minutes."

Out in the hall Al asked, "Who is going to care for Orville?"

"I think Ella will look after him for the time being. Maybe later well move him out to Coates to stay with his aunt Edna"

Al shook his head. "He has no parents. His aunts and uncles are all so poor. Neither of those families can afford to adopt him."

"Right. On top of that, he'll never be able to support himself."

"What then?"

"He'll end up being a ward of the state," said Tillie. "If one of the sisters agrees to care for him, she'll get an allowance."

What she really wanted was to ask Al for permission to bring Orville into their home. Orville had been her student. During her year of student teaching in a rural school near the little town of Rosemount, she had developed a deep love for the child. He had saved her from being burned to death in the same fire that destroyed his father. Now, as his social worker, she wanted to rescue him, protect him from further pain and loss.

At the same time, she knew she and Al had nothing but a tiny room next to their upstairs bedroom. Orville could not live with them, especially now that her own Poppa had moved in. At best, he could come to visit upon occasion. She also remembered warnings from her supervisor not to get so deeply involved with her clients that she lost perspective. She felt frustrated, sad and helpless. Finally, she turned to Al and asked, "Why don't you take Ella and Orville home"

Al nodded and they walked back into the small room.

"Ella," Tillie said, "take Orville home. Put him to bed. Al will drive you. Ill stay here and make arrangements with the hospital. Tomorrow well talk about the funeral."

_____________________

In those moments it is so important to know and believe that the Risen Lord Jesus Christ is also present, even amidst the sorrow and loss. His Presence sustains and enables believers to look beyond the moment to find hope and eternal peace.











No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.