Monday, October 22, 2012

Jesus, Candidate For The Office Of Messiah

Current candidates for elected office lay out some fabulous claims. "Follow me. Elect me and I will solve all the problems we face in our county (or our city, our state, even our nation). Prosperity and peace for all awaits my election!" And then they run TV ads that conclude, "And I approve this message."

That's what it appears Jesus was doing when he announced,
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." - Jhn 8:12 ESV (cf. also Matt. 4:12-17)
The light of the world! The light of life itself! Not only was he enlightened, he was the light itself. Follow him and you too will see where you're going. In every part of your life you will have light. A very astounding claim, to say the least. But what does it mean? Consider these words from the prophet Isaiah to Israelites enslaved by Babylon for 70 years. According to this preacher, peace and prosperity were about to break in upon them. All the promises of a coming anointed king (read: Messiah) were about to be fulfilled.
But there will be no gloom for her who was in anguish. In the former time he brought into contempt the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali, but in the latter time he has made glorious the way of the sea, the land beyond the Jordan, Galilee of the nations. The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined. You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil. For the yoke of his burden, and the staff for his shoulder, the rod of his oppressor, you have broken as on the day of Midian (Gen 25:4,13). For every boot of the tramping warrior in battle tumult and every garment rolled in blood will be burned as fuel for the fire.  
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this. - Isa 9:1-7 ESV
This astounding message is followed by similar ones in Isaiah, especially in those passages that speak about the Servant of the LORD (cf. also Isa. 60:1-3)
Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations. He will not cry aloud or lift up his voice, or make it heard in the street; a bruised reed he will not break, and a faintly burning wick he will not quench; he will faithfully bring forth justice. He will not grow faint or be discouraged till he has established justice in the earth; and the coastlands wait for his law. 
Thus says God, the LORD, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it: "I am the LORD; I have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you; I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. - Isa 42:1-7 ESV
People wanted justice, retribution and revenge in those days as much as they want it in ours. There were political prisoners in jail wrongly accused and awaiting trial or death. The rule of law and righteousness was gone. People had seen their homes burned to the ground and their children ground into dust. War had ravaged and destroyed their homeland. Those left were enslaved and faced but a few years of hard labor before they died. Their hope for the future was nothing more than a sputtering wick or a bruised reed. Hope was nearly dead.

That is until Isaiah came along with his message of the coming Messianic Servant-King who would bring light to Israel and the entire world. Jesus claimed he approved that 700 year-old message. The time had finally come when the promises were about to be fulfilled. And he was that promised Light. He was not merely running for office. He was already elected—by his heavenly Father, regardless of
what the Pharisees said about his claims being false. It was not only that he approved his own message. He had the endorsement of the heavenly Father.
Jesus answered, "Even if I do bear witness about myself, my testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going, but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. You judge according to the flesh; I judge no one. Yet even if I do judge, my judgment is true, for it is not I alone who judge, but I and the Father who sent me. In your Law it is written that the testimony of two people is true. I am the one who bears witness about myself, and the Father who sent me bears witness about me." - Jhn 8:14-18 ESV


In my next blogs I will look at the differences between these astounding claims of Jesus and those of modern day politicians.








1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder that Jesus is our "Light of the Nations". It puts things back in perspective amidst the overwhelming Election Climate.

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.