Saturday, February 16, 2008

My Grandsons' Music

I had another of those endless conversations about music with Patrick the other night. He's one of my three wonderful grandsons. And I do mean wonderful. Patrick is a senior at Texas A&M, completing a degree in computer engineering. Shawn, his older brother, is completing a second degree at the University of Texas-Pan American in mechanical engineering. Aric is at the University of Colorado, Boulder, working toward a degree in business. A finer group of young men cannot be found. And I am most proud of them.

But back to that music conversation. It is quite obvious that each generation has a heart music that resonates with them. I still sit at the piano and sing (to myself when no one else is around) the songs of the 40's and 50's--my music. It brings to mind all sorts of memories. I find myself reliving those moments.

So it continues for every generation. Nothing wrong with that. It's just that Patrick's generation's music does not resonate with me. It's so loud, so boisterous. I've never been into Rock of any kind. I miss the soothing tones of Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney and even Frank Sinatra. That's "my music."

Curious fellow that I am, I went to Google and put in "Grandsons." Up pops this current popular band, The Grandsons. Now what kind of music do they play, I'm wondering? They tell us they play an eclectic mix of New Orleans rhythm and blues, rockabilly, swing and country two-step. From the image on their website they look to be about the age of my grandsons. Oh, maybe a little older, but certainly a lot closer than I am. They've been around since the nineties. Old guys!
The Grandsons

They have a link to give us a taste. I clicked on it and voila! It sounds like some of the music I often heard when I was their age. What's going on? I guess Listen to this. I kind of like it. It's called "Yodel Your Blues Away!"

Maybe there's hope yet that my Grandsons and I can come together around some of their music. I know they also like country two-step and related stuff. They go dancing at Texas barns. I've even tried a little of that myself. So I'm looking for a way to bridge the gap between us on music.

Go Grandsons!

1 comment:

  1. Al,

    Your grandchildren have a different taste in music, but what I experienced recently was quite striking. While you may not be able to have a conversation with them about their music, I conversed with a 70 year old man about our choice of hymnody, and it was remarkably similar! While outside of the church we are different, on the inside, we are the same. I was just struck at how interesting is was that Dr. Feuerhahn and I agreed on hymns, but for the rest of the music we listen to, would probably not be mutually intelligible at all.

    Just a thought about music!

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.