Saturday, June 25, 2016

Night Ends and The Morning Star Arises

As I child I was often afraid of the dark. In my imagination I saw fearful monsters and evil men waiting for me in the shadows of the trees separating my parents' house from the house where my grandparents lived. During the day when the sun shone brightly I could see everything and was completely unafraid. But when the shadows of night filled those same trees my fears grew. The psalmist describes this fear as he promises the LORD's deliverance:
For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday. - Psa 91:3-6 ESV
In His parable about the wedding feast and those who did not wear wedding garments the LORD instructs his attendants to cast them into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth (Matt. 22:11-12).

But now in this final glorious chapter of the Revelation John writes about a city completely without darkness:
No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him. They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever. - Rev 22:3-5 ESV
So the prophecy comes to an end. John heard and saw it all. These words are to be proclaimed.
And he said to me, "These words are trustworthy and true. And the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show his servants what must soon take place." "And behold, I am coming soon. Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book." I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me, but he said to me, "You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God." And he said to me, "Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. Let the evildoer still do evil, and the filthy still be filthy, and the righteous still do right, and the holy still be holy." - Rev 22:6-11 ESV 
He who is the Beginning and the End, the first and the last, the root and the descendant of David, the bright morning star, brings His blessing upon all who wash their robes in His blood.
Be ready for the bright Morning Star
The Spirit and the Bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who desires take the water of life without price. - Rev 22:17 ESV
And then a final, very serious warning:
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book. - Rev 22:18-19 ESV
 So we join the saints in prayer as we conclude our study of this precious book. The present darkness is about to end. The Morning Star has arisen. The Day is at hand. Soon the Lord Jesus will appear.
He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon." Amen. Come, Lord Jesus! The grace of the Lord Jesus be with all. Amen. - Rev 22:20-21 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.