Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Questions On The Journey

We arrived at our beautiful vacation home in Pagosa Springs, Colorado yesterday. A second grandson arrived during the night. Two grandsons have already hit the slopes. Wolf Creek has a ten foot packed powder base. Other members of our family will soon begin their journeys to arrive here for the Christmas holidays. This is the tenth year we've been celebrating these family times in this house.

During the drive up I had a conversation with grandson Patrick who was along for the ride. Among other things, we talked about education, goals and making money. He has a year to go in college and is naturally concerned about such things. For that matter, aren't we all?

While I was pondering what sage advice this grandfather might give to his maturing grandson, I recalled something about life being a journey, not a destination.



Who first said that? I had no idea so I checked out Think/Exist and found some interesting quotes.

18th century Irish essayist, poet and dramatist Oliver Goldsmith wrote, “Life is a journey that must be traveled no matter how bad the roads and accommodations.”

20th century novelist Don Williams Jr. writes, “The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination.”

Greg Anderson (American best-selling Author and founder of the American Wellness Project., b.1964), writes, “Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.”

German born American social Philosopher and Psychoanalyst, 1900-1980, Eric Fromm wrote, “Let your mind start a journey thru a strange new world. Leave all thoughts of the world you knew before. Let your soul take you where you long to be...Close your eyes let your spirit start to soar, and you'll live as you've never lived before.”

One of my favorite authors, Ursula K LeGuin wrote, “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end."

I liked the Japanese proverb: "When you have completed 95 percent of your journey, you are only halfway there.”

Matsuo Bashō (1644 – 1694) the most famous poet of the Edo period in Japan, said, “Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.”

I also discovered a study Bible titled "The Journey: The Study Bible for Spiritual Seekers." I haven't read it, so I cannot vouch for it, but the concept is interesting, because the Bible does have the answer to the most significant questions about life. And we don't know how to ask many of them until we get some distance down that journey.

Here's some questions that I'm dealing with in this my 70th decade of my journey:

+ How long will I continue on this journey?

+ Does it matter to anyone but me?

+ How will my journey end?

+ What's happening to all the people I've met and served on my journey?

+ How many of them will continue the endless journey with me in that country called Heaven?

+ What contributions may I yet make before this part of my journey ends?

Oh yes, I'm certain of arriving one day in Heaven. My Lord has guaranteed that. That's one of the great reasons why I delight to celebrate Christmas.

What about you? What questions are you dealing with as you continue on your journey?

1 comment:

  1. As I am just beginning my seventh decade of life, I find I am wrestling with some of the same questions. I must confess that I have spent maybe too much time wondering "How many of them will continue the endless journey with me in that country called Heaven?" In this regard I probably also feel a little sad when I reflect on what more I could have done--particularly as relates to my children and still I cling to the promise, believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved--you and your household. I know that faith is God's doing; but surely He needs my help-- doesn't He. What are the good works that he has planned for me to do? Am I doing them?

    I too am certain that I will arrive in heaven one day. I only wish that same certainty could be felt/known by all I love and care about. Strange that God does not give us the ability to know that about others!? Maybe I will understand more about this when I complete the rest of the journey?

    ReplyDelete

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.