Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Sorting Through Visions And Dreams

So Pastor Tim, picking up where I left off yesterday, I want to tell you a little story from my first parish. Upon graduation from the Seminary, I received a Divine Call from the Minnesota District of our denomination to start a new congregation in northwestern Ontario, Canada. Back in the '50s our church body did not have a separate organization in that part of Canada just north of Minnesota. I was to function as a missionary sent by that United States District of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. With that in mind, Sylvia, my new bride, and I became landed immigrants of Canada and settled down to make a life for ourselves in what was then known as Port Arthur, Ontario.

We gathered a small congregation together and began worship services in a rented local school auditorium. The District already owned a piece of property on which we eventually built a small sanctuary, with a basement for fellowship and Bible classes. My small office was located on the first floor, just off the narthex.

One day a lady appeared at my office during a fall day some three years after we had arrived. She told me she had been sent by God to share a vision she had received. She was dressed simply in a cotton dress and wore a light coat. I'm not certain that she even told me her name. Looking back on the incident, I regret that I did not get both her name and address. I did not follow up with her after she left my office. I suppose it was because she struck me at the time as mentally disturbed and I frankly did not know what to do with her.

The Little Golden Carriage
Sitting before me, she said, "Pastor, I want to give you this little golden carriage." She proceeded to remove a tiny piece of costume jewelry, the kind one might hang on a chain to put around your neck. "Now I want you to know what this means," she continued. "The Lord spoke to me in a dream last night. He told me that you are one of His chosen. The day is approaching when you will sit on one of the twelve thrones of Israel, judging the tribes of men. This little carriage is a token that confirms what I am saying. Please keep it with you and wait, for the Lord Jesus will reveal to you what you are to do next."

All I can remember about that visit was that I felt helpless and confused. How does one respond to someone like that? Visions? Judgment Day? The twelve thrones? Where was she coming from? I was certain that she was mentally confused, but I did not know how to respond. I thanked her for sharing as she arose to leave. I held the tiny object in my hand for a long time after she was gone. I still have that little gold-colored carriage in my desk drawer. It is a reminder of my failure to respond to that troubled lady and a further reminder that I desperately needed training in the treatment of mental illness if I were ever to encounter others like her. Later in my ministry, as you know, I was able to go on to graduate school to receive training in pastoral counseling.

Yet I still puzzle about that little woman's vision to this day. How does one sort out the difference between a vision from the LORD God and the wild confusion of an unbalanced mind? The Biblical record has many accounts of dreams and visions in both Testaments. As the church moved out into the world in those early days she was often guided by visions and prophets. You are familiar with them. Here's Peter's vision to take the Gospel to the Gentiles, for instance.
The next day, as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the housetop about the sixth hour to pray. And he became hungry and wanted something to eat, but while they were preparing it, he fell into a trance and saw the heavens opened and something like a great sheet descending, being let down by its four corners upon the earth. In it were all kinds of animals and reptiles and birds of the air. And there came a voice to him: "Rise, Peter; kill and eat." But Peter said, "By no means, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean." And the voice came to him again a second time, "What God has made clean, do not call common." - Acts 10:9-15 ESV
And Paul's visions certainly influenced the direction of his ministry.
And a vision appeared to Paul in the night: a man of Macedonia was standing there, urging him and saying, "Come over to Macedonia and help us." And when Paul had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go on into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them. - Acts 16:9-10 ESV
At this point my counsel is one of caution and love when dealing with those who offer visions and dreams. Pastors must judge all such by the rest of Scripture and the rule or analogy of faith. The Scriptures remain the final and ultimate authority and the central teaching is ever the Gospel. The LORD will never contradict Himself. The church has ever been guided by Paul's words:
But far be it from me to boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. For neither circumcision counts for anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creation. And as for all who walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. - Gal 6:14-16 ESV

No comments:

Post a Comment

So what do you think? I would love to see a few words from you.